Schools in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston assess students at the 5th, 8th, and 11th grade levels using the National Catholic Education Association’s Assessment of Catechesis and Religious Education. In 2011, the 5th grade class at St. Agnes School was ranked second in the Diocese, just below Our Lady of Peace in Wheeling.
St. Agnes School students attend weekly Mass on Wednesdays, as well as Holy Days throughout the year. Students in 2nd grade prepare for the sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.
Service is an important component of the Catholic identity at St. Agnes School. Students participate in monthly food donations to the Common Grounds Outreach Center, a food bank that benefits from our collections.
As special circumstances arise, students answer to the call of special projects, such as the Haitian earthquake relief effort. That particular penny drive resulted in the school being honored by an inaugural Humanitarian Award from a local radio station. In addition, a second grade student took the initiative in the fall of 2011 to start the Kids 4 Kids club, which focuses on service to other children in need.
The history of St. Agnes School dates back to 1924 when a combined church and school building was erected on the corner of 50th Street and MacCorkle Avenue in Charleston, WV. The school was staffed by two Sisters of the Congregation of St. Joseph. The enrollment that first year was 65 students. In 1939, an addition enlarged the school with one additional Sister of St. Joseph joining the staff. In 1955, the first lay teacher, Mary Hacala, was hired. A new parish was built on 49th Street by Reverend Lawrence Gallagher. In 1958, the staff increased to eight, consisting of both Sisters and lay teachers, and in 1959 the school reached its highest peak of enrollment with 237 students. The Seventh and Eighth Grades were closed in 1970 following a study of the Catholic School System in Kanawha Valley by West Virginia University. In 1971, Sister Judith Ann Teufel became the principal of St. Agnes School. In 1981 the kindergarten was opened for half day sessions; all day kindergarten began in 1994. A childcare program was begun in 1986 to accommodate working parents; a preschool 4-year old program was begun in September 1989. The school has held a First Class Certification by Kanawha County Board of Education and the State of West Virginia since 1974. A new addition to the school was built in 1994 consisting of a library, computer lab, gym, administrative offices and a daycare. In 1995 the Preschool Program expanded to 3-year olds. The Middle School was once again opened with Grades 6 and 7 in 1996 and Grade 8 added in 1997. Due to low enrollment, the Middle School closed in 2008. Sister Judith Ann Teufel retired in spring 2008 with 37 years of service. Theresa O’Leary, a product of the Sisters of St. Joseph, through her education at St. Francis de Sales in Beckley, became principal in the fall 2008. Today, St. Agnes educates students of all faiths, from preschool through 5th grade and has an onsite daycare facility.
The CTB Terra Nova Standardized Test measures a student’s performance in Science, Spelling, Reading, Language, Mathematics, and Social Studies, relative to children in the U.S., in their own grade. The Terra Nova is reported through a variety of methods. The Quartile Report divides students into quartiles based on their percentile. The 50th percentile is considered average, or on level.
Terra Nova Quartiles:
St. Agnes School is very proud of these fabulous results!
Feeder School to Charleston Catholic High School: Upon completing the 5th Grade, the majority of St. Agnes graduates enroll in Charleston Catholic High School, or the county school of their choice. We have a very high rate of acceptance at Charleston Catholic and former students and parents often comment on how well prepared they are for middle school, whether their choice be private or public.
Special Classes: Offered weekly or biweekly at St. Agnes: Art, Computer Lab, Physical Education, Library, Music, and Math Lab.
Class Sizes (Maximum):
Pre-3 15 students (two co-teachers)
Pre-4 22 students (two co-teachers)
K 23 students (with teacher and full-time aide)
1-5 25 students